Sunday, September 28, 2008

Closet cleaning

As I write you this evening, I am wearing some fuzzy slippers. Yes, it's that time of year. It seems like just yesterday...well, it was just yesterday that the sun was shining and it was 80 degrees. Today it felt like 50 with full cloud cover. I sit here in red PJ's donned with snow flakes and fuzzy slippers. Time to put the sandals away for a few months.
It's also a perfect time to clean out the closet. That is what I spent a great deal of time doing this weekend. During that time I made a huge discovery. I put the summer clothes away. I sorted through to see what my Fall choices were and if they were still in fashion. I really thought i needed some updates- scarves, belts. I thought I needed some staple items- black pants, white shirt. Come to find out, it was like the Loaves and Fishes story from the Bible. The clothes just kept coming and coming. All they need is a little ironing.
The huge discovery was this- I think this is the year to focus on the shoe as the accessory. I can't be wearing staple items and staple shoes at the same time. Something has got to stand out and I am declaring this year it be the shoes.
The tough thing about shoes is that they often go unnoticed. Rightfully, people generally look people right in the face when conversing. And in most situations, pants cover a good portion of the shoes. Maybe this is why I have such a strong desire for the tucked in pant look to come back. I am determined to get some riding boots this year. I think the trend is slowly making a comeback...and hey (this goes out to all those people who know me well)when I set a trend (ie- rolling up jeans, scrungy in the hair) we know how well it takes off! Setting can be much better than following. I try to not be too much of a trend follower. I clearly remember the day when I had my hair spiked up like Billy Idol's, cut off gloves on like Michael Jackson, and tore up jeans like Madonna. Yes, I managed to get out of the house like that past my parents on a day when my St. Francis Cabrini pupils and I would be headed off to church. God is forgiving.
Though I have this true passion for shoes, my true inspiration for this continues to be uniting amazing women together. Life is far too short to stand here just complaining about what we feel should be done and how to do it. For goodness sakes, my husband has already figured out 1/10 of the school year is over- time flies! Let's just do it. If that means having shoes be your accessory this season, OK. If that means helping out a great organization like Chix for A Cause, even greater! And if it means you take the time to hang out with a few friends and spend some quality time together, that's the best!
I wanted to dedicate this post to Jody Goratowski who died September 23rd. She was 38. While here, she was a fantastic RN, a blast to be goofy in the ER with when I was working there, and a real go-getter. This was a woman who remembered detail, who knew names, who told great stories. She even told me what the secret ingredient was in the ChiChi's salsa (and though I know my salsa buddies know what it is, I'm going to keep it a secret). Her giggles were infectious. Her life courageous. Jody, it seems, had no warning of her death. She will be dearly missed. Though, to my knowledge, Jody did not have a shoe fetish, each convertible I now see reminds me of her spirit!
Peace,
Paula

No comments: