Sunday, September 21, 2008

God Spent Just A Little More Time with You!

It's Sunday. Our day of rest. I did not go to church. I love my church, Still Waters in Jackson. We had some family over last night and I went for a walk as the sun rose this morning. That was my reason for not going. I did connect with God though. I seem to always see deer whether it be in my car or while I am walking. I wondered a while ago what that may have meant. Was God trying to tell me something by placing these deer in front of me? Well, I decided the deer was being placed to remind me of God's presence in my life. So, today I saw 3 crossing the road just in front of me as I walked onto County Road by the New Fane trails. What a sight! Yes, God, I know you are in my life!
Deer stories are great...well, sometimes! I know all of you who are married or around deer hunters can relate. Like yesterday as I sat around the ball diamond in Beechwood watching my husband play softball. There were times while there that I would be talking with my husband...then another man would appear...the conversation would slowly change to allow the third party to participate in the conversation...before you know it a deer story was being told! And now rather than me being part of the conversation, my vocabulary suddenly decreased to that of an infant, "uh-huh...wow...oh..."
You see, women, on average, use 20,000 words per day, while a man uses about 7,000 (Brizendine, 2006). We have bigger communication centers in our brains. So why is it that when around a group of men we often become wordless? We have plenty of things to talk about!
I am impressed with my husband's ability to tell a story. He truly is brilliant at remembering the details and reciting them. A story of his, and this is not a cut on him at all, can last as long as the actual event . And I really don't mean that as a cut. I know I have to repeat that because if he is reading this I don't mean to offend. I really admire him. I am amazed at the details. Honestly, I either can't remember the details or feel that I should speed through the story for fear the other person may not be interested in what I am saying. But he, and Todd Jr. (who is my son Jordan) has been blessed with this ability. Story telling is almost a lost art. People are so busy with their lives, sometimes they feel they don't have the time. God spent just a little more time with Todd and Jordan on this gift. And I thank Him for that!
Now Ladies, I know we have a lot to say. I think it may be 2 things that prevent us from dominating a conversation...1) the busy thing, 2)the common interest thing (besides our children). I say let the common interest thing disappear! Anytime you hear a deer story, retort with an equally detailed and exciting shopping story. Yes, yes,yes, while this may sound shallow it may save you the anguish you feel just standing there saying nothing at all. So now it will be..."wow! I had that happen to! I was really having a hard time finding the right exact rack. Then there it was in the distance, about 20 yards away. There was actually a group of them. It took sometime to decide which one I should focus in on. And then I knew. The red shoes, size 9, stiletto heels. With a flash of my card , they were mine. Here, I'll show you. I've got a picture..."
Let the shoe hunting begin. The tip of the week- Scout. Make sure prior to a big hunt that you have prepared. This may take several trips to various stores, websites, magazines, newspaper flyers before you can actually locate the place to go. While this may not guarantee success, it's something else you can talk about!
Enjoy your Sunday! Hey, I would love to hear from you...What did God spend just a little more time with you on, or your husband, or your kids? Click on comments and let me know!
I'm trying to remember the singer of that song...James?..."God spent just a little more time with you, babe!"
Paula

1 comment:

Buechel's said...

Hello fellow hunter....

ahhh...the memories

I remember it being NSYNC and Alabama singing that song. It is a good song. I would agree sharing stories is a gift along with the patience of listening to the stories.

Have a great Day and keep hunting!
Kathy