Sunday, September 14, 2008

Satisfaction

You know they really are a classic, the sandal. I know they have been around since the time of Jesus according to pictures I've seen. It's no wonder why you Ladies voted them #1 on the shoe poll of favorite shoes.
I love things that are classic and leave a message even when the inventor is long gone. I've often thought of what I will leave as a legacy for my kids and those who know me. I haven't quite figured it out but guess it has something to do with using a creative touch to get a fullness in life. Rather then pouting about my husband's hunting obsession and rather than joining him (I typically even let a fly go intact from the house rather than spat it with a swatter), I used my creative side to come up with a logical alternative- shoe hunting.
There are so many creative people out there I admire. This weekend, I watched "Shine A Light", a documentary done by Martin Scorsese about the Rolling Stones. This band formed in 1962 and continues to come out with albums, 24 total so far. Despite being in their 60s, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards act like they did in concert as they did years ago 9 though Mick does seem to be a bit winded at times). Their rock, jazz, and blues exotic sound transcends. Brown sugar, Start Me Up, Satisfaction...hm mm. True classic rock and roll. And those lips!
Now don't get me wrong. I know they have had bumps along the way. OK, not bumps, mountains. It sounds like there have been band members along the way who have left the band for not being recognized for a lot of the writing that has been done. There was even a band member early on who left the band under difficult circumstances only to be found one month later dead in the bottom of a pool. And then there are the drugs. Keith Richards, don't know him but certainly appears effected by long term use. I love that Johnny Depp uses Richard's personality for his Pirates of the Caribbean character, so perfect! And I am sure the list does go on. I certainly have never followed them closely enough to know all the details.
Despite the bumps, these guys are such a part of music, and for me, I love music of all kinds. I guess part of it is because of that creativity. There is such a story being told in the music. I love really knowing the words, not just singing them but knowing the story behind them. The Stones don't have to worry about what legacy they will leave.
There are several things I still have to consider in leaving my legacy. I have to live long enough for one to be created. I hope 37 years is not the end. I also would like for it to be somewhat classic or original. It's like the grilled cheese sandwich I had today. Panera may have some of the best sandwiches there are right now, but sometimes a good old fashioned grill cheese is all you need. So for now, I will continue to work my creative side.
And absolutely I agree with all of those people who left the band because of not being recognized for their work. I don't want the same to happen with my hunting members. I had so much help and so much of this creativity couldn't be done without people like Kathy B, Shelly W, Steph K, Jill W, and Chix...and all of you!
Let's get ready to be creative. Going out hunting for shoes with your friends. Sharing your stories. Gathering on the big night to show off your kill. Giving to a great organization like Chix for A Cause. Thanks in advance for your generosity.
Shaduba,
Paula

No comments: