Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hump Day

I love Wednesdays. It's my day off from work. It's amazing to think that after only 2 days of work, I need a day off but it always comes as a relief. I'm shocked by the complete disarray my house is already in. So it usually starts with a lot of straightening up. I get to take the kids to school. Then it's off to the Y for a swim. That's when complete peace sets in. I think it has to do with the breathing I do with each stroke.
I usually head off to the store after that. That is when I am reminded of the wisdom I am surrounded by. You see, Wednesdays are senior citizen discount days, at least in the town of West Bend. They have earned their right to receive an additional 10-15% at each store they enter. Brilliant thinking on the stores part by the way! These ladies are expert shoppers! They find the deals. They go out in packs. They compliment each other on the items and for sure the deals they find. They also hold the gift to buy more than one. If a pair of shoes fit perfectly, buy them in every color. Again, brilliant. Today I parked in one of the last slots at Kohls...on a Wednesday...on October 1st...The store was full of extremely wise shoppers and I was there to learn.
I also cherish the absolute lack of being rushed for time. As I finished my shopping spree, I patiently waited in line as the lady in front of me asked the cashier to wrap each of her candles with paper individually...10 candles...12:28...in 12 minutes I need to be at my son's school to help in math which, if I'm lucky, is 15 minutes away. Sure, take your time. I am in no hurry. I'm reminded of my swim earlier that day...breathe.
We can all learn from this generation- go for the deals, go out in packs, and go for more than one when the fit is perfect! Most importantly, make and take the time. It's worth every breath. And for those of you in that generation, I thank you.
Peace,
Paula

No comments: