Monday, November 24, 2008

The similarities are frightening!

The 2008 gun deer hunting season is well underway...as is the shoe hunting season. The stories are flying. The similarities are amazing! Let me just tell you the ones I know so far:
1. I am not sure the exact time deer hunting opened on Saturday, the official opening day. I know the sun has been rising at a couple minutes before 7 am. So that being said, the opening time was right around there. My husband hunts about 20 minutes from our house. The alarm was set for 3:50 am (that is not a typo). The alarm, of course, never went off for Todd never really fell asleep. He was out in his stand, very easily by about 4:45 am just waiting...and waiting.

Friday is the infamous Black Friday or the Day after Thanksgiving sale. I have no doubt that many of you will be paging through um teen flyers after you have stuffed yourself with turkey and all the fixings. And I know many of you, if not all of you will be on your computers or standing in the lines at the stores hours before the store even opens. I know several women who wake at 4 am just to get those good deals when the doors fly open at 7am. So when you are standing in line, don't forget your foot warmers!

2. Everyone's style of hunting is different. My husband went out with our good friend Roger Peters. He also had a group of guys hunting together some private land mostly owned by organic farmer and friend K.T. My husband made a phone call midday whispering "I got a small one. it was wounded. I had to take him down." Rusty calls me looking for Todd later that day. "We got 11. 3 big bucks. 7 of them were shot by one guy." I know of several men who are lucky enough to have their own private land in Buffalo County (big buck country). Most have already been successful in their individual hunting sessions.

The girls' shoe hunting approach can be handled differently as well. Todd and Rog's hunt remind me of Ronda and Tanya's last year...they too went into some very public territory, well hunted and managed to find "wounded" though worth it shoes! And as far as hunting in a pack, I know a friend who will remain anonymous but it related to the hunter who shot 7 deer in one day. She, too, has found success by purchasing not 7 but 8 pairs of shoes in a very short period of time- I am sure any of us with extra tags will be more than happy to donate them to her. She is doing our economy some good after all, and that is what it is all about! And then there are those women who seem to have it all and get those winning shoes that no one else can find, let alone dream of having! I have a grand feeling that those girls from Buffalo county will be showing off some dandies! I can't wait to see those beauties.

3. I am competitive. I would love for my husband who has been hunting for 25 years to get a really nice buck. And I would love to get some really great pair of shoes. After all, I have been shopping since I was 3.

Peace,
Paula

No comments: