Monday, November 10, 2008

The Rut is Here!

For those of you who are not familiar with hunting, let me explain something. This time of year happens to be the best for deer hunting. It is when the rut is here. Let's just think back to our high school days. Remember when your boyfriend would literally do anything for you even if it meant it would get him killed just to see if he could end up scoring? Totally reminds me of Todd our senior year. The things he would do....OK, back to the rut. This basically is the exact same situation. The doe trots around...the buck frantically searches for her scent, so insanely that he often gets shot in the process totally unaware of his surroundings as he only has one thing on his mind! And if we want to further explain what this may feel like for the shoe hunter, I liken it to Pre-Holiday shopping! Sometimes the deals are so good, it becomes hard concentrating at what the task at hand may be! Forget the kids toys, these shoes are only $19.99 on sale plus 15% off plus a bonus no finance for 3 months! You get what I mean!
So Todd was successful this weekend hunting. He got a "big" doe. He said we needed some venison in the freezer. I was actually pretty happy with chicken, pork, salmon but it will now be full of sausage, hot sticks, back straps, and steaks. Now, if you are a novice venison cook, you could be in for some gamey style meat. I grew up in a house where the venison was "seasoned" with salt and pepper and placed in the oven to cook. Tough. I was surprised to find that it is delicious when prepared correctly. When I finished my shift from the Gas Hut at Fleet Farm in high school, I would stop by Todd's house to find venison steak and cheesy mashed potatoes!These have now become a household favorite with our boys.
There are many ways to season venison steaks but one of our favorites is a recipe we received from our good friend Roger Lemler (besides being a great cook, he is a wonderful home builder!) I thought it would be OK to share this marinade with you...
Red Meat Marinade- 1 cut up onion, 3/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1.5 tsp garlic powder, 1.5 tsp ground ginger, 3 tbsp honey, and 2 tbsp cider vinegar. Marinate the meat for several hours. I would cook this on the grill.

So I am sure this weekend, we will be having some venison. The deer was gutted and brought to the butcher the same day for processing. Now, let me tell you something- in the process of "gutting", Todd lost his wedding ring. I got notified of this by email today...
Title "Problem"
"lost my wedding ring in deer. Sorry."

My response "hmmmm"

And that is exactly what I thought for a while. Hmmm. I know this has happened to other guys. The ring, in the deer, in the woods. Uh, it's just a ring, cost maybe $50 dollars when we got it. We can get a new one.
Then I realized something. Todd has not taken that ring off once since we were married. I mean not once. In 12+ years, not once. Not once during volleyball when a lot of other guys do. Not once at a pool. not once to shower. not once. not at all. That ring is an amazing symbol of who he is to me. Absolute dedication. Not once when I have yelled at him. Not once while cursing "you did this to me" during the birth of our children. not once during PMS.

And get this. To top it off, the next email I get is this titled "re: problem"
"solved. Doug found it. Owe him $20 for metal detector".

You see, Doug Buechel had that happen to him. He knew what it meant (maybe not the way I see it).

2 great guys. The ring is back. Minus $20 and a case of beer.

Renee Janke said to me at a party this weekend, "hunters are really great guys." Simple statement but she sure is right. And though the hunting seasons may occupy a lot of time, I am lucky to be married to one.

Gotta go, the rut calls.

Peace,
Paula

No comments: