Saturday, November 15, 2008

On a Mission

Prepare yourself. You have just sat down in front of your computer to check in on the blog. Excited to hear what may be new...well, I feel the need to tell you a story. It is a hunting story. No, no, no...you sit back down. Don't you dare change this page to something else. You must now do what I have had to do on numerous occasions...listen to a story that will take no doubt much longer than you could have imagined. But as a dutiful wife, I have to endure these stories...and because you are my friend, you must do the same.
I came home last night from a fun evening out with friends. After I settled the children to bed, I listened to the answering machine message. It was Roger Peters. He was leaving a message for Todd..."Todd, uh...I will try you on your cell phone. It's about that thing tomorrow."

Translation from the DNR Shoe president..."Todd, uh...I know your wife may not know about our hunting plans tomorrow so I will call you on your cell as I know I should not leave details for fear she may get upset."

True, there are plans to "scout" for the location of the deer hunting that will be taking place next week. Todd and Roger are going to head out to the Kettle Moraine. So after a busy morning of accomplishing one of the most grueling tasks Todd and I have partaken in together since marriage- installing kitchen cabinets- Roger is on his way over to go on this escapade. Todd has known Rog for a long time. He is usually a few minutes behind scheduled time. But this was a long time.
Finally Roger arrives. "Sorry I was late. I figured you'd understand." here's where the hunting story comes in. Was driving down my road...always wished i would see turkeys in this one field...thought they were turk vultures, binoculars...no, turkeys...wish i could....i can....went back home for gun...started through field...plowed field...deer out in front of me, plowing across the road, must of kicked 'em up...few times thought they spotted me...now in the dump part of the field...right next to washer and dryer..."Nice blind!" says Todd...up on my knee...shoot at the turk...jumps up into the air...follow with my gun...other turks look up to see what is going on...better shot at this one since I missed the other...down. Got 'em.
Now there were many other details I had missed and that is what the "...'s" are for.
I learn important lessons from these stories.
1. Take your time window shopping. What first may seem like a vulturous no-good deal, may turn out to be just what you were looking for.
2. You always have time to shoe hunt. Your friends, if true friends, will always wait.
3. Even when you feel like you are in a dump as in the instance of Rog hunting along side a washer and dryer that were dumped in the field, you may just find your prize. So don't be shy- you'd be amazed what I have found at those second hand stores!
4. And, as always, if first you don't succeed, Try, try again!

Try it the next time you have to listen to a hunting story...how does this apply to shopping? What valuable lesson might I learn?

Just to give you more of an idea as to who Roger Peters is, I thought I would include an email I received after last year's shoe hunt as a "Late Entry" (this is, of course, without Rog's permission. Sorry Rog. You understand.)

Dear Mrs. Carlton

I cannot remember the name of your group (New Freedom Maxi Club or New Rebellious Dixie Chicks or whatever it was) so I am sending this to you directly. I also realize it is too late for your "season", I did not apply for a permit, or even buy one of your licenses. But knowing who you are married to I don't think you can really judge me for "poaching" (Oh, by the way Ladies who are reading this, that is a whole nother story for another time so let me get back to Rog's note)...these beauties. Besides we all know the real deals are after the season right? So attached is a picture of my "kill shot". And here are the details on those bad boys:Size 13 (you need some room for thin socks), 18" tall (which makes the slot limit), in a beautiful forest green. Thought about going real tree camo but I like a more neutral boot myself. The solid green goes to every camo pattern to brush pants to Carhatt bibs. Nothing says dork like wearing real tree boots with advantage camo pants. Paalease, can you say tacky? They have the ATS traction soles which cut the mud like butter but don't clog up. They are scent free (smell like rubber to me but what the heck do I know, besides that just reminds me of Fleet Farm. Another hidden feature in these little gems, will it ever end, I think not!) They have an accordion type back with a cinch strap for a nice snug calf fit which also keeps debris from falling in and making a real mess on your pant legs.I could go on and on but you get the picture.

(Funny thing is, the letter doesn't end. As is typical of a hunter, the story continues and he does go on and on...)

These babies are loaded with features! They are not just a fashion/ style statement, they can literally walk the walk as they say. And oh yes, did I mention I got them for 30% off?! Going out of business sale. Sure, all sales are final and there are no returns, but I am sure you would agree, you would have to be an idiot to take something like this back.
So being a true hunter as I already was and now participating in your version of it, I have to be completely honest, while I enjoy the browsing, comparing, saving, and now bragging about my find (or kill as you might say), I'll still take the heart pounding, hands and voice shaking, adrenaline rush which ends with blood to your elbows and a gut pile at your feet over the store experience any day. But at least you made me think I was having a good time shopping. As good old Uncle Ted would say "Yah, let's go huntin' baby"! Hope you enjoyed my little rant.
Later,
Rog

(It didn't end yet...he has a P.S.)

P.S. I didn't even mention anything about the thinsulate. Can you think of a better material than that? Other than maybe Gore-tex. But that is just over kill and showing off when you are talking about a rubber boot. Should we just say status symbol for those who love to flaunt it?...you know the type...how petty.

(Is he done?)

Yes. But I would have to say this- I think Rog's adrenaline was pumping! So the only difference for Rog is really that he just didn't have the blood and guts when he was shoe hunting. And of course, that is because he wasn't shoe hunting with one of us- we can get pretty nasty when there is a good deal and only one shoe left in your size- watch out!

Love to you,
Paula

No comments: