Thursday, October 16, 2008

Let the Birds Sing!

Wednesdays are normally my day off from work. Yesterday was an exception. The morning actually went by pretty quickly while it was pouring outside. The last few hours of my work day, however, drained me. Despite clearing skies outside, cancer diagnoses seemed to cloud my afternoon inside. Of course, I am not the one being diagnosed. It is the worst part of my job. I'm amazed at how each person manages the news. By work days end, I almost feel like I do not want to leave. I'm one of those people who likes to leave only when my work is done. I feel today like my work is not even close to being done. On my drive to Cedarburg, I pray.
Wednesday nights, one day per month, is Bunco Night with the girls. Tonight I'm worried it may be hard to transition to this complete night of fun. We planned on starting the night at Morton's (if you've never been there, it is a must). As I come closer to the restaurant, I am greeted with the most awesome flock of singing birds who have gathered in the vines that are growing along the building. I mean this was a jungle! I smile and breathe with ease. You see, months ago I had decided that anytime I had seen a bird who crossed my path or a group a birds that was God's reminder of the women in my life. Here I was being reminded those women diagnosed are strong. I could leave my day job behind for a few hours and enjoy the company of fun and entertaining friends!
Bunco is always educational. The night's conversation involved mostly politics, something I'm currently not a huge fan of! We debated some hot topics. Relationships with significant others. Our kids and their current stages. High school yearbooks came out. Can you say "really big hair"? It was a timely topic however. Next year will be my 20th year reunion. Just this past week a few of my classmates started a website- www.eastandwest89.com- it's been great to see just how fast the "word of mouth by email" is going! Oh...we didn't play bunco (I hope my male counter parts aren't reading this). It totally dismisses anything I wrote about in the "Trap Night" blog entry! But we did try to bring out other games...which we never played. There was just way too much to talk about. For goodness sakes, there is an election just around the corner and we were ready to solve the world's problems! So I would say we did the world some good last night despite not playing bunco. I brought home my $5 which I now will invest in our failing economy.
Thanks girls! The bunco team will be there on Shoe night. And at that party, the theme will be properly played out with lots and lots of cool shoes AND money to help out those people who need support of all kinds with a cancer diagnosis. It could be as simple as listening to singing birds.
Peace.
Paula

No comments: