Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Is it really all about the shoes? The accessories? Well, for a moment it may have been. I still can recall that feeling. It really must be like when the guy gets the truly trophy buck. Recall that first kiss. You know the one where your feet tingle, you feel like you are floating. You even get light headed. I felt it. I didn't want to let it go. I paced myself. I made sure I was the most mindful I could possibly be. I wanted to take in the light, the colors, the sounds, the smells. With each step, I took notice of how my feet felt. As my legs glided forward, my spine became more erect. My head flipped back. My heart beat faster...those boots. Big, black, over the knee...Gucci. Modelisc. My movements became Victoria Secret runway model like...without the big boobs, flat stomach, and youth...but it felt very close! And all through this I kept telling myself "Todd's hunting trip cost as much as the boots".

Do I have the boots in my possession? Goes back to the question, is it really about the shoes? ok, ok, ok...no. No, it really isn't. You can be like Brenda and buy a ton (go girl!) or you can go out and buy clearance at Walmart for $2.98, one pair. It's time to sit back and remember this...when our purpose was created, this shoe hunt grew out of a need to inspire and empower, however conscious we were of realizing that.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go with that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

- Harold Whitman

This past year, my father died. Sometimes I feel guilty that I seem to think of him more now that he is gone. I should have been more aware of his presence when he called, stopped by, helped out. I know the thoughts I have for him and memories of his life are remnants of the legacy he left behind. I was honored when I read the eulogy at his funeral. I felt he was listening. His legacy reminded me of a tree. The tree that now stands tall in our back yard is a symbol of his legacy. He planted the roots and was deeply excited about his family history, passing stories on to us. And the wings...the birds that land on those branches and fly off to greater heights- his children, grandchildren, and those he touched...and there were many. Just come check out the tree once- there does not seem to be a moment that goes by without the presence of beautiful birds (sometimes I imagine them being tickled by those rough yet gentle hands).

He made me think about my possible legacy. And to think about Mr. Whitman's quote. Creativity brings me joy. That realization was an unconscious thought at one time. Once I asked myself who I am and why I was here , I began to understand what I was doing and how I would get there. Legacy- you can leave one or you can live one. And now I am in the thick of it. Creating something tangible around that which I am passionate.

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Isaac Newton

So when Kelly, Kathy and I were sitting around the bar that night, our conversation was about leaving a legacy, it just came out in words a little different ("oh shoot! another hunting season. I am so sick of this! Already he is on the phone talking with everyone 24 hours a day..yada, yada, yada!) So is it about the shoes? Of course! But it is about utilizing a passion. It is about sharing that passion with others. It is about leaving a legacy.

And on that note- though the whole party is awesome, one of the best parts is when we turn over the microphone to all who wish to tell their shoe hunting stories, show off their best deal, or intrigue us with their greatest find! Be creative! Make it fun! I already have ideas formulating from my hunts!

Love, Paula

No comments: