Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Ugg!

It's hump day. Mid week. No school for the kids and my husband tomorrow- too cold. Most importantly it means I still have 3 full days left of my birthday week. My birthday was January 12th. I am now 38. Lance Armstrong was born in 1971. People like Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, and Kirstie Alley were born on Jan 12th...what? I suddenly have lost all belief in being Capricorn. The Microprocessor came out in 1971. Walt Disney World Resort in Florida opened. Woman were given the right to vote in Switzerland...in 1971, doesn't that seem a little late?
Todd and I started "birthday week" years ago before kids. I love to celebrate and I love my birthday. i have always been the one to announce my birthday, make my own plans for my birthday. I just have never wanted anyone to forget this momentous day...and I love the attention. So then, just like any person, you want more. And especially as an adult. A lot of times your birthday lands on a day that you are working. And suddenly it is gone before you know it. No way! So when it is my week, I can do whatever I want. Each day since Sunday, I have gotten some type of massage, even from my oldest child. I rarely need to do laundry, kitchen duties. I get to watch what I want on TV. We go out where I want to go. As soon as my kids were savvy enough to understand these benefits, they quickly became fans of the birthday week. And as far as Todd, his demands differ greatly than mine but I surrender.

I felt like my birthday week started on Saturday. I had a fun swim and Zumba workout at the Y. Watched the boys play basketball. Then off to my parents for a visit. My mother in law stopped by to see me. She provided me with a sweet gift...a pair of the most comfortable Ugg slippers. It is official. I wish to appoint her as my Secretary of Comfortable Shoes. She is the best! I'm not sure why they call them Uggs since they are the farthest from that...I would rather see them called Yums. Simply the best. The boys then went to the Lemlers for Sam's Bday and we met up with them later for a nice dinner. Michelle and Rog are always amazing hosts. Pleasant and relaxing.

The start of my actual week was complete joy. Good friends- Kathy, Kelly, and Gini informed me of a gathering that they would pick me up for. Once they arrived, I was instructed to change into PJ's and my gold heels. Not quite what i had in mind. They whisked me off to a wonderful gathering of wine, treats, games, and the Sex in the City movie. I truly was inspired by the generosity of these women's souls. They put so much effort into these couple hours and left an impression that will last a lifetime.
For my birthday, I was greeted at work with cheers. A display of my favorite- hummus and veggies (yes, we like food). I brought the cheese cake and blueberries. I was showered with gifts and cards. I was struck at how well people know me. It made my heart smile. When I went home my boys rushed to the door with flowers and cards, hugs and kisses. We had a family dinner. I pulled out the birthday plate, placed the cake right on top, and handed out the 4 spoons and we dug in!
Tuesday is my long work day. Not a whole lot of celebrating but I do share my birthday with a long time patient. I took her out to lunch at Perkins for some chicken noodle soup. It is so nice to see people out of the clinic setting.
And today...Hump Day. I love this day anyway. I have the day off. I was able to swim, bike, run. I then went to a delightful gathering at the West Bend Country Club. I was asked to talk about "a fresh start to the New year". The absolute bonus was the fact, well there are several....1. Friends were there- Thanks Nikki, Jeanne, and Michelle. 2. I met and heard Karen from naturesgardenspot.com. She is an expert in the field of food. good food, nontoxic food. organics, preparation...she was passionate about what she spoke. I am journeying into becoming a naturalist myself. I was happy to be a part of such a brilliant crowd of women. I received so much good information that I actually was overwhelmed.
My second talk was cancelled (weather) but I was able to drop off the money we made at the party to Chix for a Cause, so watch out ladies, your checks will be deposited soon. They told me they have given over $7,000 in "Gifts of Love" just in the months of Dec and Jan. Way to go!

So I have some days leftof my week. Well, I have years and years left. I am making sure each day is cherished fully. Just as I should do always, each and every day. And though I sit here typing in my Uggs, it was no uggy day to me.

Namaste, I truly do.
Paula

No comments: