Saturday, November 6, 2010

TOMS...no, not turkeys!

I know I just posted a few days ago but this is the time of the season where things get cooking! It is early Saturday morning. Jordan and Todd have already left the house to go hunting. So far Jordan's hunting season seems to have been a lot like mine of years past. He has already shot 7 pheasants. Each time he travels down the road to pheasant hunt, he comes back with meat. He often goes into the "extra long" story version of each detail of the hunt. Todd has observed Jordan to be a natural and is proud of his son's judgement and shooting skills. My grandfather was a marksman in WWII. He was never one to brag and did not talk about the war but I recall him talking about (what I interpreted as and others confirmed) his tremendous shooting skills. So, though I have never picked up a gun, I am sure Jordan gets his sharp shooting abilities because of me (hehe) since it appears every other inch of his being is a pure reflection of his dad! But hey, each time I go out "hunting", I tend to be successful too!
With the hunting season in full swing, it was no wonder that when my TOMS shoe magazine came yesterday I had to open it immediately. This edition was their "Giving Report". I have been on their email and mailing list since I bought some of the shoes last year as Christmas gifts. For those of you unfamiliar, TOMS uses shoes as charity too. In their case, when you buy a pair of their shoes, it will also mean a pair of shoes will be made and given to a child in need. So when I bought 4 shoes from them last year and gave them to family, 4 pairs of shoes were also made for children from 1 of the 23 countries they give in. Some of the highest volume giving occurs in Haiti, Honduras, Mali, Niger, and Mongolia. To date, TOMS has given away (wait for it!) 1,000,000 shoes in (oh my gosh!!!! wait for it!!!!) 4 YEARS (love it that the number 4 keeps surfacing!).
Why shoes? Schools mandate shoe wear! If no shoes, you can't go to school. Disease can be transmitted through the soil like hookworm, podoconiosis, jiggers, and tetanus. And the terrain is rough. We know even walking on a few pebbles seems to kill. Imagine doing it daily...for miles...hills, gravel, dirt, water. Once they find a place that is in need (done so in a very responsible way), they keep on giving. The kids go through their pair in 6 months. They make the shoes in various sizes and color but all based on what exactly is needed. They are making the world a better place with shoes!
The styles for you to purchase are endless. Of course they do not give wedges or sandals to the kids, but they do have them for us. Most of the material is canvas but also tweed, leather, cord, and wool. Simplicity is key.

It's what we need in this world. Simple. Giving sustainably. Giving responsibly. Like TOMS, Chix 4 a cause does that too. They research where the need is. They give the gifts of love that are asked of them. And they give back to our community. All to make this a better place to live.

www.toms.com

Peace!

No comments: