Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Shoe and Accessory Camp


There is all sorts of talk going on in my house these last couple days..."when we gettin' up? where we gonna sit first? how's the sign?" It is because this Saturday is the opening of the busiest hunting season of all- gun season for deer. Many of the men I know often travel a fair distance to what is known as "deer camp". That is the location, often owned land, where several men gather together to bond for 10 days. I even overheard a guy in the store last week state that he was headed to deer camp...last week. Now that is impressive! Often at these camps, hunting is enjoyed, food is consumed, and stories are told. I believe you are not suppose to shave. And showering is a must but make sure you use the "nonscent" stuff, not sure if that stuff really works...don't you think we would have every teenager bath with that daily if it were true?


Our deer camp happens to be our home. My husband and son hunt around the area of the Kettle Moraine. And since our home is planted smack dab in the middle of this, you can often see me in my house with my orange on crawling on the ground to avoid potential gun fire. I have been told certain ammo can fly for miles. Because Jordan and Todd stick around, I am included in the story telling and regular updates. Bow deer season, thus far, for the Carlton family has been slow. We have one doe already but that is all. I'm excited to see what this season brings.


On the other hand, shoe camps have been flying up all over for me lately! I just returned from a 72 hour getaway to Vegas. I had every intention of posting a nice video of the hunting success and fun along the way but, I must say, the pics should have remained in Vegas - way too fun!!! Thanks Jeanne and Michelle( in the above pic)! Tonight I got back from another camp called "OhLaaLaa" in West Bend. The store owner was kind enough to have a private party for the Shoe and Accessory participants and present us with 15% off each kill! That's like going to a private pheasant hunt and getting shoot 2, get 1 free! Don't worry Ladies, if you missed out this year, I can almost guarantee we will repeat it next season- what a nice night!

And there may be more for the hunting season is just underway!


So I'll leave you with a story and somewhat of a good lesson. While in Vegas, we did do some hunting. A flashy pair of pants caught my eye. I was anxious to shoot and thus did. I then went off to another place only to find an even flashier pair (and much more reasonable!). Luckily, in this kind of hunting, I took back kill#1. A good lesson for all of us hunters- don't shoot too quick! There might be something better that comes along the way!


Happy Hunting!

No comments: