Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Swadhisthana

Couples having been doing this since as far back as the Romans and Greeks...exchanging wedding rings during the ceremony. Todd and I did this over 12 years ago. Todd lost his ring this past Fall only to have a wonderful friend find it for him. I had never taken my off for anything until this past week. I discovered while at work that the main diamond in the ring fell out. A patient pointed it out. My co-worker friends who now all have sore back areas they cannot describe looked tirelessly for the diamond. We found millions of salt crystals thanks to winter but no wedding diamond. I cleaned for hours that night...no diamond. It's been a week, no diamond. Apparantly someone at work had this happen to them and found it 3 months later. I pray I find it. It's such a special symbol to me...Todd picked this out without my involvement at all. We never got the wedding band to attach to the engagement ring...it was enough of a symbol to me on it's own. I replaced it that day I lost the diamond with another ring of mine but then felt guilty- that ring was not the symbol of eternity. So now my ring finger with the connection that goes right to my heart is naked.

Today I went for my usual swim but it turned out to be nothing usual. As I placed my left hand above me and pushed it into the water, it felt so different. It was as if the strength just was not there. That finger being undressed seemed to not want to put forth the effort. My mind immediately recognized what was happening. This symbol now moved to be a more metaphorical meaning. I wondered why, why can't I find this diamond? It had hit me before but now in the water became so apparant. And so here is the way my brain thinks (lock me up now). I immediately began to think of the basic elements of life...earth, fire, air, water (and some include metal and wood). So many cultures have spoken of these elements- some in their literal sense and some have deeper meaning...as I continued to stroke through the water, the sense of loss grew deep...so what does the water have to do with this loss of a diamond? According to the Chinese, water nourishes wood, water quenches fire. Is there something I need to nourish? Maybe I am eating too much! How about quench....ok, ok cut back on the wine! OK, how about if I look at it from the Chakra senses...charkras are focal points for the reception and transimission of energies. One of the points is the sacrum which is represented by water. The sacrum is around the area of your pubic bone. It is your unconscious, your emotions. And believe me, when I read about balancing this chakra, I can see the connection, especially at this very moment of my life. I have some work to do, I know. Sometimes that stupid metaphorical thinking can really be so amazingly accurate, it scares me. So, while my search continues for my diamond, I have much more work to do than just that...and if you want to know what I am referring to, the web is a great place to study more about chakras and healing elements.
Peace and happiness
Paula
P.S. Russ is doing great. He has completed his full brain radiation of 10 treatments and has finished his first chemotherapy infusion on monday. This is a man who knows how to live in the present moment. He is showing me how to be thankful for every moment of health you have. Reminder to all who may not know...
90% of lung cancer patients are/were smokers, 10% never did (including Russ)
Top 3 cancer related deaths for men and women 1. Lung (by a landslide) 2. Colon 3. Breast
50% of all Lung cancer patients are first diagnosed when they are in Stage 4, 50% live past their first year
Number of self help books in the Smallstones Library at Froedtert on Breast Cancer- at least 100, the number for Lung cancer...2
Let's start taking Lung cancer seriously...make sure your kids don't start smoking, make sure our air stays clean, eat healthy, destress, and whatever else may help prevent this but please support the research and treatment for lung cancers!

No comments: