Sunday, November 10, 2013

Back and Better Than Ever!

As I log on to my blogger account, a rush of anxiety moves up from my toes to my nose. I have been absent for more than a year! It was not without good reason. I have spent most of 2011 and 2012 in a doctoral program writing countless papers, essays, and cohort responses. My computer was a permanent fixture in my life. The last thing I could think of doing was writing for fun though that certainly would have been quite therapeutic. In December of 2012, I crossed the stage and am proud to call myself a Doctor of Nursing Practice! It was a stressful yet rewarding journey that I, and my body will never forget as evidenced by my reaction I got when reflecting on it today! Well, I am back and happy to write for fun again!

It has only been 7 years since the shoe hunt inception yet so much has changed. Back then, Kathy, Gini, Kelly, and I gathered at the Call of the Wild sharing stories about our husbands'  recent mailings of turkey and deer tags with Kelly nearing the end of a long racing season. We turned our sorrow into joy at the idea of a similar type of hunting/racing experience. Why not go out to hunt for our passion...shoes! Those early years make me laugh. I remember posing with a sales clerk after my "kill" with my "weapon" (credit card!). Kathy and I even made a video of a "hunting show" for girls with a map of local hot spots! We sat outside filming with my cornfield as a backdrop. I have no idea where that video ended up! Back then, we all worked together at Aurora. Today, we are spread out with new jobs, titles, or businesses. Gini has children nearly ready for marriage while Kelly has one in college. What remains is a friendship built on love, faith, and memories...and a continued passion for fashion!

Last year's shoe hunt was handled by Tammy Schladweiler in my absence. And what a job she did! It was held at Timmers. They had vendors and a fashion show. The food was fabulous and turn out was grand! After the 6th year, our hunting group has raised over $10,000 for Chix 4 A Cause. A tradition we plan to continue.

This year's hunting season is in full swing. The invites, whether by mail or Facebook, at out. The planning of the food and raffle baskets are in progress. I just reviewed my "Food and Wine" magazine  and am excited to bring some goodies I found! I am most excited about our venue this year. We have explored different locations over the years. This one gives me the same feel that Imagine Coffee House did. I remember the first year, during a huge snow storm, only 10 people present (including Mike the bartender from Jeff's!), the feeling of thankfulness for making it safely, the warmth and closeness of the ladies, the laughing, and the singing. Though nights like this can never be replicated nor do I want a snowstorm to prevent safe travel, I do love the idea of pulling together kind, inspiring, uplifting, strong women in one room to share in the glory of giving. Moosenuckles in Campbellsport has a rustic feel to it. It is simple yet elegant. It's like Central Perk but with wine and hearty brew...and there will be no Chandler or Ross as it's a gathering of girls. If you have never been, it is another great reason to join us that evening! Ronda, the owner, feels to me like a friend I have known forever and yet have only met her twice. I would imagine you will feel the same.

And as for the hunting, it is primo this season! Andrew got his first deer during the youth gun hunt; Jordan, his first bow kill; and Todd just shot a buck. We enjoyed some of the backstraps mixed in our favorite teriyaki sauce last evening. We have pheasants, turkey, and fish from the summer taking up freezer space among the veggies we harvested from the garden. I have been hunting as well. What, what, what, what...Macklemore & Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz popularized the idea of thrift shopping last year with their hit song. One (wo)man's trash is another (wo)man's treasure! Though I do not feel I have got THE pair for the season, I certainly have found some great deals at our local thrift shops! however, my favorite hunting came months ago when I traveled to Nashville with a few of the co-founders of the DNR Shoe & Accessory Hunt. Amidst the country honky tonk music 24/7 were cowboy boots galore! Kelly, I do believe your kill takes the cake for sure!!!! We decided shoe hunt traveling at some point during the year should be an annual tradition.

Of course, this is all for one special night designated to a special organization chix4acause.org. Many details about hunts, the organization, some of the donators, and the fundraiser night will continue to appear on this blog so check back frequently. I also encourage you to send in your stories, pics, and comments! I love the feedback!

The available tags for this year's season are noted below. I appreciate your generosity and look forward to your involvement! Because of the venue size, the space is limited to 50 guests. Please reply quickly to reserve your spot!!!

We hunt for shoes and accessories instead or maybe even in addition to deer. Our hunting season occurs during the deer hunting season. Our goal is to bring friends together to experience what our deer hunter counter parts do. We come together after the hunting season to celebrate. The party is a fundraiser for Chix 4 A Cause. Please wear your "kill" to this event to show off. Prizes are given for the best shoe and best story! 

This year it is even easier to give. Please select from the following tags:

ELK tag $100 includes 4 samples of wine or beer tasting, a Moosenuckles glass, and 5 raffle tickets
BEAR tag &75 includes 2 samples of wine or beer tasting and 3 raffle tickets
DEER tag $50 includes all you can drink water or soda and 3 raffle tickets
PHEASANT tag regretfully cannot make it but will consider a donation to chix4acause.org
DOVE tag for the giving hunter who is donating a valued $50 or more basket for raffle. You can purchase your own drink and raffles the night of the gathering.

"Like us" at DNR Shoe & Accessory Hunt on FB
RSVP on FB or at paulanp71@gmail.com

Be Well!
Paula

No comments: